Monday, January 30, 2012

A Kansan in the Kingdom of Wonderful

Realizing that my Vietnam visa was going to expire in less than a week, and pending the upcoming Tet (Chinese Lunar New Year) holidays--in which Vietnam shuts down--I headed off to Cambodia!

Here's a run down of my almost 2 weeks in the Kingdom of Wonder:

January 16: Phnom Penh
It takes only 6 hours to get to Phnom Penh from Ho Chi Minh City by bus--including the red tape at the border.
Phnom Penh park outside the Royal Palace
Independence Monument
January 17-19: Siem Reap and Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is--yes, you know it--amazing! I spent the first day exploring by bike with my trusty guide, Yut--an awesome time! The next day I woke up at 4:30 am (ouch) and tuk tuk'd it to see the sunrise (pretty, only marred by all the people talking, taking photos, and cramping my space) and a few other temples. It was an exhausting and overwhelming and exhilarating experience!

biking Angkor Wat!
Bayon Temple with the smiling faces
January 20-21: Battambang
I decided to check out Battambang to the west of Siem Reap, as I'd met some folks who worked with a non-profit social enterprise there called Kinyei. I took a bike tour exploring the country side with Soksabike, a program they support. It involved a lot of sweating, but was definitely rewarding and educational!


rice paper making
fermenting rice wine (fizz)
January 22-23: Phnom Penh
I bussed it back to Phnom Penh to see a few more sights. I was quite depressed after visiting the Choeung Ek killing fields and Toul Sleng (S-21) Prison. I was saddened by what humans can do to each other--and yet amazed at how friendly and kind Cambodians are, despite this sad period not even 40 years ago. There is hope--further evidenced by my visit to the Phnom Penh Metro Rotary Club.

mass grave at Choeung Ek killing fields
photos of young prisoners at Toul Sleng Prison (the majority of whom never lived)
members of Phnom Penh Metro Rotary Club
January 24: Kampot
Just as I was coming down with a cold, I headed south to Kampot, the black pepper capital of Cambodia. I spent one night there, a sleepy, scenic town on the river. 

old French buildings in Kampot
January 25-26: Kep
I arrived in Kep, just a 30 minute (albeit bumpy and very dusty) tuk tuk ride from Kampot (and NOT pleasant while suffering from a cold and a sunburn on one's face), and was oh-so-happy to find my bungalow at Tree Top Inn ready and waiting, hammock and all. 

my bungalow (on the right) at Tree Top in Kep
This is just a small slice of my trip to Cambodia--click here for more details and photos on Facebook!

My YouTube Cambodia Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment